- I once told my friend's girlfriend that I personally knew John Mayer and was very good friends with him. I told her that I had met him through my cousin when they both were living in Boston, and that I was the one who convinced him to move to Atlanta and switch from blues guitar to his current sound. I kept it up for a few months and I'm pretty sure she believed me for awhile.
- I've convinced many people that I had a black grandfather and that I was 1/8 African-American.
- After a buddy suggested it as a sure-fire way to pick up chicks, I started dropping the fact that I had written Finding Nemo. I let it slip in casual conversation and say a few lines in 'whale-speak' before acting embarrassed. It works.
- Sometimes when I'm out downtown I'll introduce myself as some made-up name. Tommy Barbados is a personal favorite.
- My roommates are pretty gullible and I've got them to bite on a few different stories. I guess it helps that we didn't know each other before this year. They bought that a was a pretty successful amateur boxer when I was younger. I was actually on the verge of signing a professional contract when I suffered an untimely career-ending injury. I also convinced them that I had driven my car under a tractor-trailer to avoid a serious accident after we saw that exact stunt on TV. And the other week I told them I was a bad-ass high school baseball player and once had a 27 RBI game with 4 grand slams. I overexaggerated that one and it didn't take.
- I was talking to my ex last night and she mentioned the March of the Penguins movie. Without thinking, I immediately proceeded to tell her that I was sponsoring an orphaned baby emperor penguin named Chuckles. He lives in a Chilean wildlife conservancy and just $17 a month pays for his food, habitat, and the medicine he needs to live. Annie sees through me pretty well, but I did get her to laugh. And isn't that what it's all about?

No comments:
Post a Comment