Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The small wonders of life. . . and the Force

This is a short little guy; just something I thought about today. For those of you readers who don't know I'm currently undergoing RCIA classes to be iniated into the Catholic Church. I had lost my faith for a while, and my sister was one person who helped me regain it and begin to be interested in becoming Catholic officially. As someone who has always had strong faith in the existence of God and was raised in the midst of a very German-Catholic family I pretty much just need these classes to clear up a few questions I have and get the actual sacramental procedures and rituals down. However, it is nice to be amongst people who are going through a similar experience that I can relate to; it also serves to help my emotional well-being and health. Anyways, my sister Kate is my sponsor and comes to class with me to help guide me through the spiritual journey I am undertaking. But of late, the classes and the Christian community has seemed to benefit her more than me. She got engaged within the past year, and within the last couple of months has been having perhaps a few reservations about getting married so young. She definitely loves her fiance but is just having doubts about her ability to pursue her education and career while getting married. The marriage has been pushed back a little and is causing some stress between her and her fiance, understandably. Anyways, she has made friends with some of the older, middle-aged women in class. Tonight we talked about the sacrament of marriage and I could tell Kate really got a lot out of it. After class was over, she had a long conversation with the woman who led the discussion and she seemed to get a lot of guidance from her about marriage and such. Simple point is this: I just thought it was amazing to see my sister get such a spiritual and emotional lift out of something that was originally intended for me. Even though I'm not getting married anytime soon and the classes are intended to educate us who aren't Baptized or confirmed, my sister, a devout Catholic, is receiving the most help from them. She pushed me towards my faith, and my journey is helping her as well as me. How beautiful is that? I hate to continue to push Star Wars, but how much is this like the Force? Every little action you take affects someone. For example, I chose to pursue Catholicism and my sister finds spiritual guidance for her problems concerning her upcoming marriage. Every action echoes and affects someone, whether you know it or not. Whether it is Star Wars, Christianity, or Buddhism, everything matters. Always remember that. It's hard for me to be a depressed pessimist with this sort of beauty prevailing all around us. No man is an island and everything little thing you do matters. And that's a beautiful thing.

No comments: