
I shouldn't be writing this post right now. I should be in bed. In fact, I was in bed watching ESPN trying to fall asleep until a few minutes ago. And then I saw an 'Outside the Lines' news report that prompted me to get up and walk down to the computer lab in the cold in my pajamas. What was the topic of discussion? The one year anniversary of the Congressional steroid hearings in baseball and the new evidence against Barry Bonds. I felt compelled to get up and speak my mind about this. The result is the following letter I have composed to Bud Selig, Commissioner of Baseball.
Mr. Selig:
I strongly urge you to consider this new evidence against Barry Bonds concerning his supposed steroid abuse and investigate it to the fullest. My personal feelings about Mr. Bonds aside, I feel you must look into these new allegations and witness testimony and use your status as Commissioner to ferret out the truth regarding them. I believe that your legacy and the reputation of the game of baseball itself rely on your actions and strong decision concerning this matter.
I have been an ardent baseball fan since I was a child and a die-hard Cincinnati Reds follower for even longer than that. In fact, one of my earliest memories is of me sitting in the living room with my father, watching Pete Rose break Ty Cobb's all-time hit record on September 11, 1985. On that date, I was not yet a month over the age of three. From that moment on, I have always followed the Reds and Mr. Rose has continued to be my favorite player. I know you must think that I am going to complain about his status in baseball and your policies directed towards him, but that is not my purpose here today. I am more worried about something that threatens the very integrity and longevity of baseball.
I believe that the steroid issue has handicapped the game and has distanced the fans from the players. Following the mid-nineties strike and other problems with baseball, I stopped watching and following the game. Growing up, I was like any other American kid. I wanted to be a professional baseball player. But for various reasons, I stopped caring about Major League Baseball. I began to take interest in other leagues, such as the NFL and NBA. I never thought I would be a baseball fan again until something amazing happened.
The 1998 MLB season; the Home-Run Race. Nothing in baseball had ever captured my attention like Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa competing for Roger Maris' single-season HR record. I was in my junior year of high school and at first I followed it like any other American citizen passively paying attention to the proceedings. But as the season wore on, I found myself daily checking in on it through television, radio, and the newspaper. I was hooked on baseball again! As tainted as those memories have become, I owe that season and those two home-run heroes my renewed passion for baseball.
I'm sure you can imagine how terrible and agonizing it was for me and millions of baseball fans nationwide to bear witness as the steroid debate and accusations played out, finally resulting in the Congressional hearings a year ago. My images of McGwire and Sosa are now tarnished, and I feel a fool for actually believing Rafael Palmeiro when he vehemently denied ever taking steroids. It all undercuts my love for baseball, and makes me question the reasons I renewed my faith in the game. If these greats could be put under the magnifying glass, who else could be? I am very glad that the MLB has adopted a tougher stance on the steroid issue and I honestly applaud you pushing the increased penalties for first, second, and third-time offenders. Just as in the game, I believe a player should have three strikes before he is out. I really think that the penalty system now in place is outstanding and will hopefully deter future major and minor-leaguers from taking performance-enhancing drugs. But I still believe there are some issues concerning the steroid policies and the players that benefited from that era in the game.
Why are there no tests for human growth hormone? Why are urine samples immediately destroyed rather than kept for future use? What good are the penalties if the testing is not adequate enough to have them enforced? And how will young players know they will be held to these standards if the older ones are not? If Barry Bonds is found to have used steroids or any other performance-enhancing drugs to help him break records, isn't that unfair to Roger Maris, Babe Ruth, and Hank Aaron and their families? Shouldn't their legacies be protected from steroids? I honestly believe that any player who is found to have used steroids should have his stats and records wiped clean. And any player, no matter how well-loved or how big a star, should be subjected to close scrutiny if reliable information and evidence should surface. My favorite active player is Ken Griffey Jr. I would be surprised if it was found that he used steroids, but I would whole-heartedly be behind any punitive measures directed towards him because of it. Whether they are an up-and-coming minor leaguer or the MLB's biggest star, no player should be exempt. If Pete Rose was exiled for some simple outside betting, shouldn't players found cheating within the game be given the strictest of punishments? Especially in Mr. Bonds' case, when he is so close to surpassing some of the game's most treasured icons.
Mr. Selig, I love baseball. I truly believe that it is America's game and that our national identity and soul are exhibited each time two opposing teams take the field opposite one another. I know that difficult decisions lie ahead for you. I must admit that I am not your biggest fan, for reasons that are probably apparent in this letter. But I honestly believe that you have acted in the best interest of baseball recently with the steroid issue. I only ask you to continue the work you have started and finish with a strong hand. I'm sure you have received thousands of letters similar to this one in recent times. On behalf on their authors' and myself I ask that you only do the right thing. I am confident that you will and I assure you that you will always have a hard and fast supporter in me if you do.
Sincerely,
The Dunce-cap Marvel

1 comment:
Bonds, McGuire and Sosa saved baseball. Stop bitching.
Post a Comment