Wednesday, March 29, 2006

When Picasso met Britney

I recently read this news article on Yahoo about some rad new sculpture that's causing all sorts of controversy throughout New York and the art world. So I check it out and I get this:





















It's a life-size nude of a very pregnant Britney Spears giving birth like some wildebeest in the wild and clutching a bear rug. HUH!? Are you fucking kidding me? And apparently (this is the best part) it's being lauded as a celebration of the pro-life sentiments in this country. To say the least, I'm a little baffled. For one, are we so obsessed with crap pop culture and US Weekly in this country that our art must reflect it? I guess Andy Warhol would approve and applaud this, but this is just beyond weird. It seems that the arts in America are suffering so much that to be noticed it's turned into a battle to see who can bring the most shock value into their work. I also was reading about how the big theatre production set to hit Broadway is the 'Lord of the Rings' musical. Nothing is original these days; just some re-hashing or "re-imagining" of old ideas to cash in on last year's big bucks. Pathetic. What's next: 'Jackass: The Interpretative Dance' ?

Secondly, is the pro-life movement so hard up for support that they are turning to Britney Spears as a model of all that is good and right? I'm pretty sure she just got knocked up. Sure it's great that she didn't ask Kevin to punch her in the stomach or throw her down the stairs, but the miracle of life isn't as beautiful when it's exploited as a reality TV show (Chaotic? Come on, come up with something better than that) for every dollar possible. I'm certainly against abortion, but I can tell you I won't be referencing this trashy pair of parents as paragons of virtue anytime soon.

3 comments:

Me said...

"Monument to Pro-Life: The Birth of Sean Preston"

I hear the baby's head is actually crowning in the sculpture - gag me with a spoon. But wait, didn't she have a c-section?
It doesn't even look like her. It looks more like Charlize Theron.

Have you seen the pictures from the LOTR play? I don't think it looks bad. They are at least using Tolkien's songs. We'll see.

Me said...

tru-dat

Evan said...

Honestly, are there even pro-life people left in this world? Silly pro-lifers, and their worship of silly silly sculpture. They can have the sculpture, maybe they can put it on a poster and march a lot or something.