Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I'm so excited . . . and I just can't hide it


It seemed that after the release of Episode III (the one-year anniversary is coming up; I know what I'll be doing, do you?) and Batman Begins last summer that it would take awhile for me to find a new project to latch my fanboy claws into and count every last second until. King Kong was an interesting flick to look forward too, and it turned out to be a lot better than I had thought, but it wasn't something that really grabbed me. And don't get me wrong, I'm pumped about the third X-men installment (despite the lame title) and I'll see it on opening day, but those uncanny mutants are still a few pegs down the comics ladder for me. Superman Returns you say? In case you're still wondering, I'd rather be forced to watch Catwoman in endless succession for a week. Gag me with a spoon.
But today I think I've found what I've been looking for. Clearly, I knew about the next Spidey flick from the get-go. It's not like there weren't two highly successful movies that were preceding this one and I also knew Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace had been tapped to play villains. But reading a little magazine article and perusing the usual fanboy sites, I came up with some pretty interesting stuff that's got my nerd-sense tingling.
First of all, there is a pretty big rumor flying around that we get to see Spider-Man ditch the classic red and blue tights and don his ultra-cool black suit. So then I head over to imdb.com and check out the info they got up there. Guess who Topher Grace is listed to play . . . can you say Eddie Brock anyone!? How awesome would it be to see Venom in action? But that is not even the best of it.
I found out that Bryce Dallas Howard is set to play none other than the gorgeous Gwen Stacy in the movie. I love Gwen Stacy! I have always had a soft spot for her, and I'm eager to see the love triangle that develops between her, Peter, and MJ. I always felt that Gwen brought a lot to the Spider-Man mythos. She brings such a great arc to the story and character of Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Her untimely death and the anguish and guilt that Peter suffers from because of it and his undying love for her. I mean, yeah, he kinda got over her and he does really love Mary Jane, but deep down you know he still wonders about what coulda been. I just wonder how everything will go down in the movie. The great thing is that I couldn't have cared less about the second movie after I found out Doc Ock was in it. I just have never cared for him and I thought it was going to turn out to be horrible. But I was blown away by how awesome it was and I really came to like the good Doctor in it. Now I have Gwen Stacy for sure and possibly Venom? 2007 seems so long away.

No comments: