Well, I am now officially a member of the Catholic Church. At the Easter Vigil Saturday evening, I was baptized, confirmed, and took First Communion. The trifecta! What a long journey it has been to get to this point. Eight months of RCIA and many long years of doubt, anger, lost faith, and soul-searching before that. I tried to do RCIA last year, but it just didn't feel right. It felt forced. But I have really enjoyed the past year in terms of my faith and my quest to become Catholic. I've been surrounded by some really wonderful people throughout the whole process. My RCIA director Sister Joan, Julie and the other leaders, and some great folks, young and old, to undertake the journey with. And of course, my wonderful sister the super-sponsor. She didn't have to be, but she was there every week with me, holding my hand and helping me through it.
I was so nervous all week leading up to today, and it really culminated once we got to Church. I was really anxious and excited as well, but I was so worried I would screw something up or that I would be a real stumble-john and trip or upend some vital sacramental dish. But I didn't. And contrary to earlier fears, I didn't choke on the Host or get scalded by the holy water. Apparently, my soul isn't so black and evil that God Himself can't accept me. I didn't get burned or recoil from the altar with a vampiric hiss, and there was no need for the priest to banish me into the dark and lonely night. I was Ok. Communion, my major concern, turned out to be pretty easy.
So it's over, and yet it's just begun. I'm pretty dang happy and content right now, but I know that there is a lot left to do and a lot left to learn. Who knows what will happen or where God will take me, but I do know that I'm pretty glad to be His man. The Dunce-cap Marvel has a new name, so Happy Easter from Augustine.
Sunday, April 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment