
This weekend is one of my favorite times of all year in Athens. It's the weekend of the Twilight Criterium bike races. They block off downtown into a 1k course running from Clayton to Washington Sts. and have all sorts of bad-ass races all day. Throughout the day they run kids, handicapped, chicks, and men's races in all sorts of events. You would not believe how fast these guys fly through town. It seems like they run a lap in a matter of seconds. The whole of downtown is packed with thousands of people who have been there since early in the morning. Competitors, families with their kids, and rowdy college drunks like me mingle and watch some of the coolest and fastest bike races around. Every bar is packed out and drinks are insanely cheap; for me this beats most football weekends. And you would not believe the wrecks that happen, especially in the night-time races where everybody is flying. I usually camp out on one of the corners (in front of the Georgia Theatre is best) or in somebody's loft apartment to watch the excitement. This is seriously one of the times during the year that make me glad I live in Athens, GA! If you love cycling or just getting crazy on a Saturday then you have to check out this event at least once in your life. When I tell people about it, they think I'm crazy for passing up a keg party or the pool to watch cycling but then they get hooked after seeing it for themselves. I hope everybody has a good weekend, cuz I know I sure will and I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:
Post a Comment