Saturday, May 06, 2006
At the Movies: United 93
Is it too soon for a movie about 9/11? That's the big question everybody is asking I guess. I think the answer is yes . . . and no. If I had lost a loved one on that day, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be rushing to go see a flick about it. In fact, I don't think anyone should be rushing to go see United 93. I think that is why this movie works. I'm glad that this is the first film to deal with the subject head-on. It didn't overdramatize the facts or look to create some patriotic 'I'm glad to be an American' melodrama. It was almost like watching a documentary; the events just unfolded as they did and probably happened. The terrorists weren't over-Arabized or stereotyped. The passengers weren't made into extraordinary heroes that had been born for the moment. They didn't get together and decide to save the world from the terrorists. They were depicted as normal people who were scared and unsure of what was happening and simply . . . reacted. I didn't stand up and cheer for them as they struggled to overtake the men who had overtaken their lives. I just watched. And cried. The film doesn't take any shots or criticize anyone for anything. It simply presents a picture of that day and specifically that flight. I felt a duty to see it, but I won't watch it again. I'll think about those events and I'll remember how I felt that day. Those are all the thoughts I can share for now. This is a harder thing to write about than what I thought. Was it too soon for me? I'm glad I saw the film, but I think anytime will be a little too soon for me. I was taught to always remember days like 9/11, but how I would like nothing more than to forget and escape the reality of it. But I will remember and I will tell my children if they ask.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment