But while the day was nothing special, I did have a good time with a friend I haven't seen in a long time. I was aching to go to Agua Linda for some enchiladas and a couple of ritas, but I didn't wanna go alone. After woefully acknowledging that I don't know that many people and with the ones I do know probably ignoring my calls, I finally got in touch with Claire. Surprisingly to me, she answered the phone and almost immediately agreed to go with me. We made it to the restaurant, ate dinner and had some nice conversation, and went home. That was it. Pretty simple actually, but very appreciated by me. For a good hour and a half it was just ordinary, normal people life. It wasn't going out with glorified drinking buddies to get wasted downtown or sitting at home feeling lonely and sorry for myself; it was just a run-of-the-mill human social activity. We talked about school, work, Spring Break, and summer plans. It was pleasant and it was great. It really pulled the day together and I flat-out just enjoyed myself.
The good thing for me is that I was able to take myself out of how I was feeling and find something, even something as mundane as eating at a Mexican restaurant, and use it to take my mind off things and just plain feel . . . better. While I'm sure it's nothing for most, that was big deal for me. And it reminded me that I do have friends, no matter how down and out I feel sometimes, and that I too can be charming and funny and a pleasure to be with. I mean the last few times I had hung out with Claire I was a total weirdo and a jackass. Yet she still answered the phone. I don't have to be some Quasimodo lame-o if I don't want to be. For someone who has the social skills of Frankenstein's creature, there is hope that I can make some new friends or re-connect with old ones and not have to sit at home in the dark, curled in the fetal position in the corner on a Friday night. That is, unless I want to.
Quote of the Week:
"All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers."
- Orison Swett Marden

No comments:
Post a Comment