Ok, so a few days ago I broke down and went to go see Supes' new flick. It was pretty much exactly what I expected. Entertaining but not ground-breaking or breathlessly amazing. I was entertained by the things that I do like about Superman and I had problems with the things I don't like about him.
A few quick notes:
The casting was hit and miss for me. I guess most importantly I liked Brandon Routh as the new Man of Steel. He has a good look and good voice for the role; my only disappointment is that the script really never asked him to do anything difficult. Just a lot of white-bread Superman dialogue such as, "Good night Lois" and "Don't worry folks. Flying is -- statisically speaking -- still the safest way to travel."
I liked Parker Posey a lot. Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane: not so much. Not that she was terrible, but I just don't really see her in the role. Lois is supposed to be a sassy, independent kind of girl but in this movie she came across as a bitch a few times. And it's a very small thing but get rid of the black toenail polish. She's not a Goth.
Kevin Spacey didn't work for me either. Obviously Bryan Singer is gonna stick by his guy, but I just don't see him as Lex Luthor. And why was Kal Penn in the movie to have zero lines of dialogue?
Why can't anyone realize that Clark is Superman!? For goodness sake, Lois slept with Superman. For her not to realize that the guy who was emptying his Super-Seed inside of her was also her co-worker, she had to be pretty drunk. And she's smart enough to track down hot leads and a missing Lex Luthor, but she can't put two and two together when Clark just happens to call in sick to work at the same times that Superman is off travelling the galaxy or dying in the hospital. You'd think Perry least would notice with all of the pink slips he'd have to be giving Clark.
The plot to create a new continent was a little weak. For one, it looked like a pretty sucky place to live. And then Superman comes and Lex Luthor basically kills him dead. The next shot you see is of the bad guys sitting around playing in a poker game. So let me get this straight: Lex you just spent tons of time and money to come up with a scheme to both take over the world and kill Superman and you pretty much accomplished both of them. What's next? "Well, we're gonna sit around and play Texas Hold'em." Why didn't he issue demands to the world's leaders or do some other super-villian shit? It was almost if they figured Superman wasn't going to die and they should just wait around to see how he was going to stop them. Laaaame.
But don't think Lex is all to blame for this weak spot in the movie. Supes has almost died because of Kryptonite poisoning; Lois has rescued him and taken the Kryptonite knife out of his ribs. But he is still badly injured; in fact we later learn that the Kryptonite is still in his body. But what does he do? He picks up an entire continent made of KRYPTONITE and launches it into space as it continually grows in mass and cuts into his body. Superman's only weakness is kryptonite. Just in case you didn't know. So after he is almost dead because of it, he is going to pick up a huge landmass made entirely of it and fly it tens of thousands of miles into the atmosphere? The minute he came within 100 yards of the continent the first time he should have dropped dead. So why can he now complete his hardest task at his weakest. He earlier almost couldn't stop a falling plane. Do you realize how much heavier AN ENTIRE FUCKING CONTINENT IS THAN A PLANE!? The logic does not fly here. Why give the guy a weakness if it won't kill him or prevent him from saving the world?
Oh well. I least I liked the opening credits. And the ending credits. Hey Bryan Singer, giving props to Christopher Reeve and his wife --- classy dude, I like it.
Next up: Ben Affleck plays Superman for the sequel!!! Just kidding. But he is playing George Reeves, the man who played Supes in the '50s TV show. The movie is 'Hollywoodland' and it's about the suicide/murder of the actor and one detective's quest to learn the truth. I checked out the trailer earlier and it actually looks pretty damn good. Adrien Brody plays the detective and he is just so hot right now. I'm really looking forward to this.
And to be quite fair: I'm a DC guy to the bitter end. But the main
reason for me to go see Supes was the Spidey 3 teaser. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out here. Sam Raimi has a tall order to fill with 3 new villians, a new love interest, and innumerable other problems, but he quashed my fears last time around, so I have nothing but hope for this flick. And if the teaser is anything to go by than WOW. My fanboy sense is tingling (I am such a nerd, I can't believe I actually just wrote that).

No comments:
Post a Comment