Thursday, August 03, 2006

Chasing legends

So Chase Utley had a hit for the 35th game in a row today? Ask me if I care. Yeah, the guy has a good streak going and it's intriguing to talk about what could be, but all of the fuss is a little unwarranted I'm thinking. ESPN started making a big deal about this like 10 games ago and now it's all John Kruk and the awfully terrible 'Baseball Tonight' guys -- for the record, I do like Steve Phillips but not Harold Reynolds -- can talk about. Sure the guy is tied for the 5th longest streak, which in itself is special, but he's still 10 games away from beating Pete and 21 away from even tying DiMaggio. I think everyone is making way too big a deal of this for right now. I'm just waiting for when Sportscenter starts cutting away to Phillies games to show Utley's at-bats. This is all so preemptive. Talk to me when he hits 43.

And one more thing: who came up with the great idea to give Barry Bonds his own personal 'Chasing Aaron' scrollbar at the bottom of the TV screen? This is beyond ridiculous. If he hits a home run can't they just show that in the normal game box scores? Do we really need to know everytime Barry goes 0-3 with a walk? It would be nice if ESPN could stop sucking this guy's dick. But then I guess you would have to fire wonderful people like Tim Kurkijian and Bonds' personal reporter and Taylor Hicks look-a-like Pedro Gomez. I swear that guy looks exactly like the dude who just won American Idol.

No comments: