Thursday, August 03, 2006

The rising cost of gasoline

The last time I filled up my truck it cost me about $55 at $3.01 per gallon. What a drag. Not only does it kill you in the wallet, but it forces you to change your driving habits. You think a little harder about that errand or luxury trip up to the bookstore just to browse through the comics. You have to plan out your driving day around town to the last detail and shortcut, because you don't want to find yourself taking a wrong turn down the scenic route or making double trips to the same part of the city. It's a production and a hassle and more than a little annoying.
The worst part of it for me is that I can't just drive for the sake of driving. I used to love to drive just to do it, but now there is too much to worry about with gas prices. It's a luxury that I can't afford. In high school if I couldn't sleep, or I was depressed, or had a lot on my mind I had a good outlet for it. I would sneak out of the house after everyone was asleep and jump in Blue, my '89 VW Jetta. I was always worried about waking up my parents, so I would put the car in neutral and roll down the hill away from my house before starting the ignition. And then Blue and I would drive all around the backroads of North Georgia. I usually stayed in the county but sometimes I would go up to the mountains or putt around Jasper and Ellijay. Sometimes I would stay out for hours, driving around and exploring and having my little midnight adventures. I was never worried about wasting my gas money back then; a gallon of 87 unleaded cost about a buck. Even if I was dead broke, I would be able to scrounge up a couple dollars to make it to school and work and practice for the week. It doesn't really work like that anymore.
Last night I took a ride with Grace for the helluva it. I couldn't really afford it, but I just wanted to drive, to get away. 2 am found me somewhere in the backwoods of South Carolina, depressed, introspective, and lost in my heart and mind. I passed through a lot of Podunk little Southern towns and saw more deer than you could ever want. I thought about my current situation and felt sorry for myself and considered options that shouldn't even have crossed my mind. I wondered if I would fall asleep at the wheel and drive into a ditch at 65 mph since I hadn't slept in a couple of days. For three hours I just drove without a purpose and without a destination. And it was a good drive; it cleared my head and calmed me.
I miss driving just for the sake of driving. And I guess that is what I hate most about the rising cost of gasoline.

No comments: