A lot of good news recently concerning the next Batman movie has been released this past week. Last week the Latino Review reported that a source had told them that the role of the Joker would be played by Heath Ledger. They got the scoop on everybody and then yesterday Warners confirmed Ledger's involvment and released the new title: 'The Dark Knight'. I am a huge fan of the title. The big concern among the fanboys is that the studio will crack and change it to 'Batman: The Dark Knight' but I have faith it will stick. Needless to say there has been a lot of buzz on the messageboards the past couple of days, most of it Brokebat Mountain gay jokes. My favorite line that I saw is as follows: Nice title, at least it's not "Batman Begins to Return". I had a good laugh.Anyway as you can imagine I'm pretty excited about all this bat-news. I think it really captures the mood of what these new films are supposed to be about and The Dark Knight has always been Batman's best moniker. Much apologies to Adam West and his Caped Crusader. And this is highly preferable to the route Sony took with the Spidey sequels, where they just opted to number them instead of using the kickass titles 'Amazing Spider-Man' and 'Spectacular Spider-Man' to tie them closer to the comics.
On to Heath Ledger. Last week when I heard about this I was hoping that it was just a rumor and not a definite thing. I was pretty against this casting at first. Ledger doesn't really have the body type for the Joker and I wasn't sure he could pull it off. But after some time to think about it, I've decided that I like the pick. Hey, if anybody knows what he's doing here, it's Christopher Nolan. Everybody was worried the last go 'round because Wayne and all the other principals were cast with Brits. And it worked out and turned out to be the best superhero movie ever. And Heath Ledger is a really good actor; I've always liked him and rooted for him so this could turn out great. I do hope Nolan makes him lose some pounds to get the right look and that he is more murderous psychopath than Jack Nicholson's over-the-top version. I'm curious to see how it goes, but until I see different I am going to place my trust in Nolan's hands. I'm sure pink parasol will throw up her hands in disgust over this casting though. Only person I know who had a problem with Cillian Murphy as Scarecrow and hated 'Batman Begins'.

I also really hope that they write Harley Quinn into the movie. She has long been one of my favorite Batman characters and I would love to see her side-by-side with the Clown Prince of Crime.

1 comment:
Wow, I really don't see him as the Joker - but I agree that he is great actor and give the benefit of the doubt. Is Christian playing DK again?
Post a Comment