Sunday, August 13, 2006

Where did you sleep last night?

Why does alcohol cause us to search for newer and more intriguing places to sleep? If I drink heavily on any given night there is a 33% chance that I will wake up the next morning somewhere that is not my bed. Most often my liquor-induced state prompts me to wind up on the couch with the TV blaring theme music and displaying the DVD menus of either 'Legends of the Fall' or 'Boondock Saints'. I actually woke up on the couch at lada's house this previous morning.
I bring up this topic because lada herself just recently got home from a meet-and-greet with the next-door neighbors. I'm assuming she had fun because she immediately deposited herself on the floor next to the computer desk where I was attempting to put together my feeble words into some sort of cohesive narrative. So rather than continue to work on my amazing work of fiction I've started to think about funny passout scenarios that I've encountered in my adventures with the bottle.
Some comical end-of-night destinations:

- Freshman year of college featured some of my most outlandish passouts. I was fairly new to drinking so I tended to get drunk pretty quick and do some rather stupid stuff. Now I have a higher tolerance, but nothing else has really changed. One night I woke up outside down the street from my dorm. Apparently I had wanted to get in touch with my feminine side, because I had opted to sleep in some bushes outside of the Women's Studies building. Fortunately it was a weekend and therefore was not discovered by any studious young women on the way to class. Another time I felt it was a good idea to roll myself up in my roommate's area rug like a pig in a blanket. I must have looked like something out of a Looney Tunes cartoon.

- I officially do not like UGA football night games. I start tailgating pretty early so I never made it to one night game last season. The worst was the Auburn game. I passed out in a fold-up chair pretty early, only to wake up after halftime to find that I had been rolled in my seat with a full roll of paper towels. I was that guy.

- There's nothing more disgusting than waking up in a dumpster. I've done it . . . twice.

- I have very fond memories of the time Charles V passed out on the floor of the hallway in 321 E. Clayton with Boron singing Cutting Crew's "Just Died In Your Arms Tonight" at the top of his lungs to him. Years later, Charles would top this feat by sleeping on a fold-up card table.

- Don't ever drink over-proof Jamaican rum if you don't want to find yourself sitting with your wet ass in the kitchen sink.

Just a few of my better moments I thought I would share. Now if I could only master the art of waking up in a strange female's bed. Please share any funny stories you have to add to this list.

Drunken lada's quote of the day: "This reflects fair market balance."

2 comments:

Me said...

You didn't even wake me - four in the morning and I'm looking around like "Why am I sleeping on the floor?"

MeLLy said...

Hi there.. apologies for trespassing in here :-) .. thought i'd tell u i've enjoyed reading ur blog...

All the way from Borneo..

Cheers!