Thursday, February 09, 2006
Is there a better feeling in the world?
I just got out of my script-writing class 20 minutes ago and I am still on the greatest high I've ever felt. I wanted to capture the feeling in words and put it down here, but as I'm going over it in my head I don't even know what to say. We had a writing assignment for today: to write a 3-5 play out of a 6 line conversation someone else in class overheard. I stayed up all night last night wrestling with the damn thing and putting it down and I finally came out with something that didn't look like fertilizer and I personally was pretty pleased with. I thought it lacked some things, maybe was a little dumb in some spots, but what the hell? I very bravely offered to have it read in class today and it turned out to be best move of the week. Everyone loved it; they laughed at all the right spots and cheered and by the end I was in complete euphoria. The guys who read it delivered it great and really kept a rhythm going. The professor reviewed it and pretty much gave it the mark of model perfection; said it had a good conflict, sense of occasion, good characters, good build-up to a climax, etc, etc. After it was all over everyone turned around to where I sat in the back of class and congratulated me. The cute girl who sits in front of me spun in her chair and just gushed over it and told me she loved it. I was in such daze I didn't hear half of what she said. I don't want to seem arrogant or anything, but I definitely believe out of all the stuff we have read in class so far this semester, this was the fan favorite and one of the better pieces written. What an absolute joy to breathe life into something and create something out of nothing; to create real and funny characters and give them some substance to act out and talk about. Well I just wanted to rave, even if I wasn't very modest about it. It really made my day and I don't think I'll stop grinning for awhile. My face already hurts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment