I just wanted to address something that came up in the Georgia General Assembly a couple of weeks ago. The state Democratic Party recently introduced a bill that would allow state high schools to offer an elective class that taught the Bible as an important historical and literary document. They mentioned its importance as a source for the fields of literature, history, science, political science, and such. I whole-heartedly agree with it in terms of using the Bible as source material. When I was in high school we had a week of Bible study in senior English class to better understand it in terms of it being used as source material for many poems and other literary works. Milton's Paradise Lost or Dante's Inferno would be pretty worthless without the proper reference. Similarily, you wouldn't undergo intensive study of medieval Europe without understanding the role of the Catholic Church. It just wouldn't work. While I see what the Dems were going for, I certainly am against it.
In case you aren't aware, we are coming off a huge religion v. education debate in Georgia. In Cobb County (just a couple of miles from my home) they had a huge issue with evolution and intelligent design in the textbooks and classrooms of the Cobb schools. Certain biology textbooks were issued with a sticker disclaimer that stated that evolution was just a theory and not scientific fact. Nevertheless, it became a huge thing for conservatives and Democrats to fight over. It's something that makes you embarrassed to be from the area; usually this stuff happens somewhere else in the country.
Anyways, the same Democrats who argued against the intelligent design in schools are now pushing for teaching the Bible in our school systems. How big of hypocrites are these guys? I'm all for learning the Bible, even though I personally don't feel it demands a class to itself as a high school elective. I think the way I learned it was acceptable to both the course curriculuum and US Constitution. Students who felt uncomfortable were not forced to attend class that week. You can't ignore the impact Christianity has had on this country and culture, but by the same token I don't think you can push direct Bible study in school. What makes me so mad about this is that the same Democrats who so vehemently fought against the intelligent design issue are now pushing this class to appeal to Southern Bible-Beaters to fill the polls and help get re-elected. That is disgusting. I'm not pushing for either side here, but it is awful what the Dems are trying to get away with. If you are so against religion in school, stick with it. Don't cross the aisle a couple of months later to grab some votes. It's no wonder that Georgia Dems are considered some of the dirtiest politicians in the country. Just my thoughts.
Saturday, February 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment