Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Pit-Stop

This is a little scene I wrote for my script-writing class. It's not much, just a little thing our prof had us do for class. He gave us the guidelines that it had to take place in a diner with placemats (just in case you wondering why the placemat line is a little random). This is what I came up with. It's called "The Pit-Stop."

(EDDIE CASSOCK, 44 and ELISABETH DOYLE, 12 are sitting in a booth at a greasy spoon diner. It’s 11:00pm and they are the only people in the diner other than their waitress.)

EDDIE
Clear your eyes sunshine. It’s time to refuel; we’ve still got a ways ahead of us before we get home to your mom. I’m sure she’s not gonna get much sleep tonight; she’ll be up worrying about us getting there safely.

WAITRESS
How’s it goin’? What’ya have?

EDDIE
Gimme four eggs, over easy, hashbrowns and toast, but none of that whole-grain wheat crap. Just regular toast. And a cup of coffee too. Ah hell, you know what? You better make that a jug of coffee instead. The last thing I need to be doing is fallin’ asleep at the wheel.

WAITRESS
(She turns to ELISABETH)
And your daughter?

ELISABETH
I’m not his –

EDDIE
--You know, she’s not hungry right now. It’s been a long drive and she can just nibble of my plate if she wants.
(He grabs ELISABETH’S arm)
What are you tryin’ to do? Get me in trouble? You are such a fuckin’ brat, I don’t know why I’m doin’ this for your mom. You see this placemat? We ain’t long from dad’s in Albuquerque. I still have to drag your skinny butt all the way across the desert to get to Santa Monica. Don’t get it into your pretty little head that this is some father-daughter pleasure cruise and we’re going to see the Grand Canyon to bond and become fast friends. I’m as ready as you are for this shit to be over. So don’t gimme a reason to dump your ass in the middle of the Mojave. Cuz I won’t think twice about doing it sweetheart.

ELISABETH
My daddy’s going to kick your ass when he catches up with us. He’s gonna beat you so bad that you’ll be real sorry.


EDDIE
Oh yeah? I didn’t know he beats up grown-ups as well. Hell, with as much junk as he’s on, I’m surprised he even manages 12 year old girls. Well, I got something for him if he does show up, honey.

ELISABETH
I know what you’re doing is illegal. And you’re definitely not ‘sposed to take me across state lines. Me and daddy saw it on COPS once. They busted this asshole for the very same thing you’re doing. ‘Cept he raped her too. Maybe I’ll tell the police you raped me when they find us. Anyways, you’re going to jail for so long.

EDDIE
So? I’ve been there before. I’m not worried about it and I sure ain’t scared to go again if it comes to that. What I am worried about is you shutting your big fat mouth. Your mom doesn’t need to hear your sass either; she’s sick enough as it is without you making it worse for her. And don’t let me catch you swearing in front of her. I came to get you to make her feel better and cheer her up. Anything less than that is beyond being unacceptable.

(ELISABETH is silent for a few seconds and glares silently at EDDIE)

ELISABETH

(quietly)
Do you love her? I mean, really love her?

EDDIE
What the hell kinda question is that for you to ask? Don’t bother me with that kind of shit.
(reflects for a moment)
Do you think I’d be doing all of this if I didn’t?

ELISABETH
I don’t know, maybe . . . well I guess not. Umm . . . what she’s like? I mean I’ve seen pictures of her and all but what’s she really like? Is she nice? Do you think she’ll remember me right away?

EDDIE
Whoa, hold your horses. Chill out with all of the questions and let’s keep it down to one at a time. Of course she remembers you; you’re her kid. Women don’t forget their own kids.
(awkwardly)
You really don’t remember her at all Lisbeth?



ELISABETH
(shakes her head)
Me and daddy moved to New Mexico when I was real little. He said she was crazy and we had to get away from her. All I remember is her hair. It smelled like—

EDDIE
-- Vanilla? Is that right?
(ELISABETH nods)
Yeah, I guess it does. Or it did before all of her hair fell out. Well, she’s a pretty amazing woman. I’d probably be dead, lying drunk in a gutter if not for her. She’s very kind and she’ll always help you out, even if you’re a stranger. That’s kinda how we met. She’s real smart . . . and funny too. She’s always telling jokes and laughing at the weirdest things. Hell, I don’t know how she does it, but your mom is about the strongest woman I’ve ever met. If I were her, I certainly wouldn’t ever get outta bed let alone smile as much as she does. But she manages it . . . and then some. Your dad’s an idiot if he thinks she’s crazy. The only thing she’s crazy about is you. And she does miss you Lisbeth. That makes her a little sad sometimes . . . having to be away from you all of the time.
(The waitress brings EDDIE’S food to him now. He thanks her but pushes it across the table to ELISABETH.)
Here sweetheart, why don’t you eat this instead? I’m not too hungry anymore. My appetite must have passed.

ELISABETH
I’m not real hungry either, Eddie. Let’s just go . . . you said you we still have a long way to drive before we get there. And she’s probably worrying about us.

No comments: