Last week I learned that Hollywood is making a film adaptation of Philip Pullman's 'The Golden Compass''. This has been constantly on my mind since and I am equal parts excited, anxious, and sad. Apparently the movie is being made by New Line and features Chris Weitz as writer/director and an unknown cast in the lead role of Lyra.For anyone who doesn't know, 'The Golden Compass' is the first book of Pullman's trilogy 'His Dark Materials'. The following two volumes are entitled 'The Subtle Knife' and 'The Amber Spyglass'. The first book deals with Lyra, a pre-pubescent troublemaker who lives in an otherworldly Oxford, and her quest to rescue her best friend and discover the secret behind the strange substance known only as 'dust'. Her journey takes her to the far reaches of the North Pole and she is helped along the way by gyptians, witches, a Texan and his hot air balloon, an armored polar bear named Iorek, and her ever-constant companion Pantalaimon (I so love Pan). It also features what is quite possibly the evilest monkey ever to be captured on the written page in the English language.
At first I was incredibly excited about the project, which is scheduled to start shooting this fall. This is absolutely one of my most favorite stories of all time. Of all the many books I have read and loved in my short lifetime the 'His Dark Materials' series would most certainly be in the top 5. Although many people would categorize the books simply as children's books or fantasy, they are one of the few works that transcend genres. They are stunningly simple and complex at the same time, and Pullman weaves a gorgeous story that is beautifully written. Lyra and her fellow characters are incredibly realized and the journey they all undertake is one that is especially powerful, thought-provoking, and poignant. To see 'The Golden Compass' on the big screen would be amazing and I can think of few books I would rather see transferred to the film medium.
On the other hand, can Hollywood actually deliver on my fervent hopes and dreams? The answer is probably not. Chris Weitz made a fine movie in 'About a Boy'. And he also made 'American Pie'. Take that as you will. But does he have the stuff to bring Pullman's vision to life? And already the fanboy site messageboards are clamoring about the disaster that Hollywood will have marketing this movie. While it is a children's story, the children in the story are not really given any preferential treatment. There are some rather scary and graphic images portrayed. Not to mention the religious overtones that would give 'The DaVinci Code' a run for its money. I'm afraid the studio will pressure Weitz and whoever else is involved to water down the story and the message in order to provide a kid-friendly flick that doesn't raise a lot of controversy. $150 million is a lot to have invested in a picture after all. The main goal here is to make money. But so far as I can tell, Pullman himself is happy with the way New Line is handling the project. I guess if he is happy, I am happy.
So why am I sad? It's sort of a dumb reason that most everyone reading this will laugh about, but one that I'm sad about all the same. The thing is . . . I always wanted to make this movie. People will chuckle and make jokes about me and my dreams to become a successful filmmaker and I've come to grips with that. Let them laugh, I say. But honestly, the fact of the matter is that this is a story that I wanted to be responsible for. After I finished reading it, I knew that I would love to see it as a movie. And I wanted to make it. I have all sorts of ideas and ways to do it, but now I've been beaten to the punch. If I am to make this movie now I would have to do it drastically different or something or other. To be honest, I've already toyed with the idea of making an animated version. But I think I will keep the details in the toolbox for another day. I reckon I better get to work though.The Dunce-cap Marvel would like to take this time to get on the individual who he has been pressuring to read these books for some time now: I suggested LOTR and you never read them, but ended up loving the movies as I knew you would. I suggested the Harry Potter books and you initially brushed me off but ended up reading them and watching the movies and loving them as I knew you would. If you don't read these books before this movie comes out in December 2007 I will never forgive you. I will buy these books for you if I have to. Just get off your butt and read them Ms. Procrastinator!
On an additional side note: At the end of the third book I cried like a little girl. I cried and cried and cried. The ending was gut-wrenchingly emotional and there are few books I have sobbed as hard over as this one. Do yourself a favor and get yourself emotionally involved with these novels. I whole-heartedly recommend it.

2 comments:
I'm not sure what to say. I'm in shock. I didn't think anyone knew about these books, let alone Hollywood. I hope Pan isn't some horrible special effect.
The armor shouldn't be gold. Wasn't it iron?
Wow, I hope this is good.
okay, okay, i'll start reading the books for two reasons.
1. to read about polar bears in armor
2. to make fun of you for crying like a little girl
- but you have to be understanding if
i dont finish all of those comic book you let me borrow......
Post a Comment