I just got served. A minute ago I headed over to a fanboy site to check out some upcoming movie news and to see if there were any new developments with the flick I just talked about previously. Immediately the top headline jumps out and smacks me in the face: "Depp joining Smith in I Am Legend." I am like, "Fuck yes, this rocks my face off!" 'I Am Legend' is like the coolest vampire story this side of 'Dracula'. How awesome would a new film adaptation be? I mean, I like Charlton Heston and 'The Ωmega Man', but that film has almost nothing to do with Matheson's original story besides the main character's name and the "last man standing" theme. I would love to see this movie made and actually be about vampires. Plus Johnny Depp? This looks totally sweet.Then I get the sour. Will Smith is playing Robert Neville. Shit. Don't get me wrong; I like Will Smith and think he is a fine actor when his talents are used properly, but I never really pictured him for this movie. Images of 'I, Robot' are clouding my vision. Could this be a sucktacular repeat? And maybe it is just me, but I don't usually like when black actors play parts that were not originally intended that way. It's not some racial thing for me; I just revere the source material and like to see people sticking to the original ideas. If Blade had been played by some skinny white kid every fanboy in Nerdom would have thrown up a collective "WTF?" Take 'Daredevil' for instance. Other than just being an awfully awful movie about a worthless superhero, they went and cast Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin. I love Duncan to death and think he is a fine talent, but Kingpin is like one of the whitest white guys I can think of in comics. Oh well. Hopefully this movie will rock and Will Smith will deliver. If it works I'll be the first to admit my error in judgment.

No comments:
Post a Comment